Many modern mothers are pushed to bounce back after childbirth rather quickly and this is a time when connection and guidance are needed, but also nourishment. This soup is a delicious healing soup that replenishes and warms the body during the postpartum period. It’s quick and easy to prepare, maybe even a little inspiring and soothing.
Acupuncturist Renee Boyd recommends this recipe to her patients who are expecting a baby as well as new mothers. However, really is a wholesome and tasty meal for anyone, particularly if you have recently cut back on red meat or animal protein intake or focusing more on easy digesting foods. The recipe is taken from “The first forty days: The essential art of nourishing the new mother” by Heng Ou.
Ingredients: (serves 6-8)
- 3 leeks, white parts only, cut crosswise into thin slices
- 1/2 cup peeled and roughly chopped onion
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 2L vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp seat salt
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 loosely packed cups fresh organic spinach
- 1 loosely packed cup chopped chard
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (optional gluten-free alternative)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, saute the leeks, onions and parsnips in the oil until lightly browned. Add the broth, reduce the heat to medium, cover, simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small post bring 2 cups water and the salt to a gentle boil. Add the quinoa, reduce heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes until the quinoa is fluffy and tender.
- When the soup has finished cooking, remove from heat. Cool. Working in batches, transfer the warm soup to a blender, along with the fresh spinach and chard, and blend until everything is incorporated into a vibrant green puree.
- Return the puree to the pot, stir in the quinoa. Season with soy sauce and nutritional yeast.
- Warm up the soup over low heat before serving. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze in glass mason jars for up to 3 months.
Unsure what to be eating? Read on…
More recipe ideas