Autumn has made a glamorous entrance this year with storms and buckets of rain. The flu loves this kind of weather and comes as an uninvited guest alongside this change of season. Most people reach for cold and flu medications at the first sign of a cold but unknowingly push the bacteria even deeper into the lung and sinuses as this medication has a membrane drying effect. The result is often a prolonged duration of the illness alongside chesty coughs and sinus infections.
Natural medicine can act as a preventative and can shorten the duration of a cold significantly without side effects. A strong immune system can prevent respiratory infections to take place in the first place. I often have families complain about catching every germ their child brings home from childcare, so here are a couple of home remedies I have prescribed to patients for a stronger immune system throughout autumn and winter:
Garlic Immune-boosting broth: Home remedy
- Break apart the garlic cloves and remove loose peels.
- Run them through a meat mincer/grinder.
- Add Equal amounts of water and vinegar. Enough to cover the garlic.
- Use a glass container preferably but never metal to soak the garlic.
- Soak it, at the very least, over night. However, I usually soaked it like a tincture and let it sit for two weeks. I have also left it in this state for over a year and it has not spoiled.
- The pulp is strained through layers of cheese cloth or linen or cotton and a sieve.
- The resulting product is the strained broth. Always add 1 and 1/2 times as much honey as broth.
- 450g of garlic
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cups of vinegar
Equals 4.5 cups of broth. You actually get more liquid back because of the oil in the garlic that comes out.
Add one and a half times as much honey as broth. So – 4.5 cups of broth, multiplied by 1.5 times the amount of honey, equals = 6.75 (6 and 3/4 cups) of honey.
Warm the honey on low heat and add it to the broth. Never heat the Garlic. Stir, drink to good health!
1 tablespoon 3-4 x a day adults. 1 teaspoon, 3-4 x a day for children.
Sarah Henschel has been in clinical practice for 7 years and is passionate about natural and nutritional medicine. She is available at Darling Health on Tuesday’s for appointments and is currently running an offer of $25 off Initial Naturopathic Consultations for new clients. Offer ends May 31st 2017. Please call or email reception to book.