Naturopath Claire Luckman shares a quick and simple breakfast recipe, perfect for Spring time.
This is the perfect breakfast for Spring when the weather slowly begins to warm up and our digestive system happily tolerates colder foods for breakfast again. It’s quick and super easy to prepare, and best of all is made the night before and set in a jar in the fridge, making it perfect for those mornings when you don’t have a lot of time or need to take breakfast with you.
I recommend this recipe to my clients who usually skip breakfast altogether because they don’t have time – not “breaking the fast” is the number 1 reason for the afternoon drop in energy and the reason people reach for processed, carb-heavy snacks mid-morning or after lunch as they haven’t refuelled after a night’s sleep and blood glucose levels aren’t stable.
Chia seeds and oats are good sources of plant protein and using coconut yoghurt and milk makes the breakfast creamy and satisfying, and perfect for those avoiding dairy. The grated apple adds the perfect amount of sweetness and you can add different toppings if you like – sometimes I add some homemade granola or a small handful of mixed nuts and seeds to add extra protein.
My 2-year-old also loves this as a snack so try it out for your little people too!
Ingredients: (serves 1)
- 3 tablespoons organic rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 4 tablespoons coconut milk (or almond milk if you prefer- Inside Out, Nutty Bruce Almond & Coconut Milk or Coco Quench are the best brands)
- 2 heaped tablespoons coconut yoghurt (I use CoYo Natural)
- 1/2 organic apple, grated
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix dry ingredients together in a small glass jar
- Add coconut milk and coconut yoghurt and stir well to combine wet and dry ingredients
- Mix in the grated apple and vanilla essence and place the lid on the jar. Store in the fridge overnight or for at least 3 hours.
- Serve as is or top with muesli, granola, nuts, seeds or mixed berries